The first time I flew to Australia, in 2006, I went from Hartford to Chicago to Los Angeles to Sydney. This took about 2.5 days longer than it should have due to a delayed flight and a missed connection.
Holy moses! I’M MOVING TO AUSTRALIA TOMORROW!!
I can barely wrap my head around that fact. It seems so natural, but with these last few weeks just flying by it’s become REAL.
93.6% of all tourists in Australia come to see the Great Barrier Reef.
Ok I totally made that stat up. Surely there are people who only stop in Sydney or Melbourne on their Aussie trip, or head straight to the Outback to get their bushwalk on.
During my mid-year break at Sydney Uni in 2006, I traveled for 3+ weeks in Western Australia and the Kimberley. The most economical and safe way for a solo female traveler to take on the rugged backcountry in Australia is to join a tour group, so I threw a few G’s at Western Xposure to take me from Perth to Darwin during the Aussie winter.
In April of 2006, I took one of those trips that leaves you with mental images and memories permanently etched in your mind. I traversed the Australian Outback, from Adelaide northward to Darwin, in 10 days.
I distinctly remember sitting in a shuttle bus outside Sydney Airport about to commence my semester abroad in Australia, gazing up at the palm trees lining the parking lot, when I made a decision: I would extend my stay and live in Sydney for a full year.
Well, this one was a long time coming. I find myself flashing back to Sydney on a weekly basis, so it’s all too appropriate that I share one such flashback on ye olde blog.
For the inaugural Flashback Friday post, I think it’s only right to feature the place that still tugs at my heartstrings: Australia (more specifically: Kata Tjuta).
I spent most of 2006 living, studying, and traveling in Australia.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Gorges du Verdon: Is This Really the South of France? Europe
- Kata Tjuta: My Heaven on Earth // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Australia
- Blue Waterholes: An Off-The-Grid Gem In Kosciuszko National Park Australia
- 7 Things To Do In Spring In New York City New York
- 15 Things To Do In The Whitsundays Besides Sailing Australia
- Bangkok’s Chatuchak Market: A Taste of Thailand Asia
- How Much Would I Sacrifice For Travel? Inspiration
- Melbourne to Perth Road Trip Highlights Australia