I knew it would be damn near impossible to top my birthday gift to Pete last year, which was a stay at the Elements of Byron. He still talks about it a year later, especially the free-standing bath tub our villa had.
July was the 6th month of our big Australian road trip and had us covering more ground than any other month thusfar.
If you’re planning a trip to Alice Springs and Uluru, you absolutely MUST allot some time to explore the West MacDonnell Ranges.
If you’ve never heard of the West Macs, I don’t blame you at all (I hadn’t either until a couple years ago… and I’ve lived in Australia for nearly 7 years!).
June was spent entirely in Australia’s Red Centre region, which is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the country.
I don’t know about you, but in my mind the Outback is a place that’s perpetually HOT.
This month we begrudgingly left the coast and summer behind for winter in the Outback!
The bulk of May was spent in northern South Australia before we crossed the border into the Northern Territory.
It’s a pretty big call to make, but I’m declaring the scenic drive through Bunyeroo Gorge and Brachina Gorge the BEST thing to do in the Flinders Ranges.
Ok, let’s back up a minute.
This Great Ocean Road Trip post was originally published on 1 June 2015 and last updated on 18 May 2021.
I’m usually skeptical about things that are uber-popular, but after a good long while of being stubborn I often come around and jump on that bandwagon.
April was the month I hit my stride, in terms of this whole caravan life thing.
We traversed South Australia from southeast to north, bingeing on beaches and wine the whole way, and it was absolutely glorious.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Dealing With Travel Mishaps On My 2013 Asia Trip Asia
- Blue Waterholes: An Off-The-Grid Gem In Kosciuszko National Park Australia
- Visiting Meteora: Clifftop Monasteries With A View In Greece Europe
- The Down Under Report: Month 2 of 12 Australia
- The Katoomba Street Art Walk: A Delightful Surprise! Australia
- The Best Spots For Hiking & Camping in Kosciusko National Park in Summer Australia
- Traveling in Vietnam: 3 Weeks in Review Asia
- Is Cinque Terre Worth Visiting In Summer? Europe