I recently wrote a post about how to plan a Kauai road trip – you know, the practical stuff like where to get camping equipment, how to book campsites, and what kind of car to rent.
I recently embarked on my second road trip around the Hawaiian islands. Someday I will write about the epic adventures I had driving around the Big Island back in my pre-blog days (until then, this guide to trekking to Waimanu Valley will have to do).
The Kalalau Trail is exhilarating, exhausting, terrifying, drop-dead stunning, and positively one of the best hikes you could ever hope to embark on.
I tend to operate on a *throw myself into it and see what happens* basis, often without pausing to consider whether I can actually succeed (after all, whatever happens, I can handle it).
I don’t know about you, but the trips I take tend to be planned around one particular thing I’ve been aching to see or do. In the case of my 2012 road trip around the Big Island of Hawaii, the one thing I just HAD to do was the Waimanu Valley hike, on the Muliwai Trail.
I’ve been thinking back lately to my 2 weeks in Hawaii in 2012 and how incredibly AWESOME that trip was. Hawaii has everything I need to be happy: glorious warm weather, gorgeous scenery, and outdoor adventures out the wazoo.
Sign #642 that you’re not a winter person: Every time a snowstorm hits, you instantly think of warmer times. Of sunset bike rides, picnics in the park, island getaways, sunburnt naps on the beach, tanktops and flip flops.
When your best friend/roommate comes home from work one day and, completely out of sorts, impulsively declares that she wants to book a flight somewhere – you say OKAY, where to?!
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- The Down Under Report: Month 7 of 12 Australia
- Dancing With Kangaroos and Hanging With Alpacas in Australia Australia
- A Sydney Harbour Scenic Flight With Sydney Seaplanes Australia
- Copenhagen Harbor // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Denmark
- Sydney Harbour // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Australia
- October 2016 Recap: Philippines + Australia Monthly Recap
- El Nido: Gateway to Philippine Paradise // WANDERLUST WEDNESDAY Wanderlust Wednesday
- A Central Coast NSW Glamping Getaway To Terrigal & Avoca Beach Australia