10 years ago, I toured New Zealand for a month, turned 21 on Fox Glacier, and had one of the most awe-inspiring trips of my life before kicking off my year studying abroad in Sydney.
I didn’t have much on my to-do list during my week in Ubud. I wanted to use this time to get some work done, lounge by the hotel pool, and indulge in healthful meals that only cost a fraction of what I’d pay back in the US or Australia.
With a week of freedom before I’d be flying to Kununurra to start work in the Outback, my old roomie and travel bud Anna and I took off on a road trip around Southwest Australia.
Perth is not what you’d call a city brimming with tourist attractions. It’s definitely not the kind of place where you construct a list of must-dos to check off during your trip.
When it came to my Melbourne must-dos, I’m not sure which ultimately snagged the #1 spot: cycling or coffee shop hopping. On one hand, I wasted no time in sampling the best coffee in Melbourne, sneaking out during my shifts at the Melbourne Fitness & Health Expo to grab a takeaway pourover from Toby’s Estate.
In the 2+ months I’ve been in Australia, I’ve been asked an inordinate number of times whether I miss home. Honestly? No, I don’t really miss my life in New York.
As an outdoorsy and jaded New Yorker, I’m quick to cite lack of outdoor adventures as the main reason I should relocate. I just want easy access to beautifully scenic places where I can hike, bike, and frolic to my heart’s content, yannowhatimean?
What’s an outdoorsy girl to do on a sunny summer day in a new city? Take to the water, of course!
The Chicago waterfront is both scenic and accessible, offering myriad activities and attractions on the water.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Everest Base Camp Trek: Phaplu to Lukla Asia
- 5 Things You Should Do in Hobart, Tasmania Australia
- Coffee Making Tips For The At Home Barista Australia
- How To Take Awesome Photos In Iceland Europe
- 5 Reasons To Travel Southeast Asia During Off Season Asia
- A Sydney Cycling Adventure Around The Northern Beaches Australia
- Things You Should Know Before Hiking The Overland Track Australia
- Taking The Everest Base Camp Trek By Storm Asia