I’m a bit weird when it comes to renting a car on my travels. On one hand, there’s nothing (literally nothing) that makes me happier than a good road trip; but on the other, I almost never rent a car when I’m traveling solo because it’s flippin’ expensive.
10 years ago, I toured New Zealand for a month, turned 21 on Fox Glacier, and had one of the most awe-inspiring trips of my life before kicking off my year studying abroad in Sydney.
I didn’t have much on my to-do list during my week in Ubud. I wanted to use this time to get some work done, lounge by the hotel pool, and indulge in healthful meals that only cost a fraction of what I’d pay back in the US or Australia.
With a week of freedom before I’d be flying to Kununurra to start work in the Outback, my old roomie and travel bud Anna and I took off on a road trip around Southwest Australia.
Perth is not what you’d call a city brimming with tourist attractions. It’s definitely not the kind of place where you construct a list of must-dos to check off during your trip.
When it came to my Melbourne must-dos, I’m not sure which ultimately snagged the #1 spot: cycling or coffee shop hopping. On one hand, I wasted no time in sampling the best coffee in Melbourne, sneaking out during my shifts at the Melbourne Fitness & Health Expo to grab a takeaway pourover from Toby’s Estate.
In the 2+ months I’ve been in Australia, I’ve been asked an inordinate number of times whether I miss home. Honestly? No, I don’t really miss my life in New York.
As an outdoorsy and jaded New Yorker, I’m quick to cite lack of outdoor adventures as the main reason I should relocate. I just want easy access to beautifully scenic places where I can hike, bike, and frolic to my heart’s content, yannowhatimean?
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Outer Banks, North Carolina // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Flashback Friday
- 2016 in Review: A Year As A Digital Nomad Annual Recap
- Camping Near Sydney: The Best Camping Trips by Public Transport Australia
- 5 Ways To Chill Out In Rishikesh, India Asia
- A Guide To Hiking The Royal National Park Coast Track Australia
- Lady Elliot Island: Best Snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef Australia
- Confession: I Don’t Want To Be A Nomad Anymore Life
- The Down Under Report: Month 3 of 12 Australia