In all my globetrotting, I’ve surprisingly never had a long layover while in transit. Back when I worked corporate jobs with 3 weeks paid leave a year, I always wanted to maximize the time spent at my destination rather than fritter away an extra day in transit.
I wasn’t planning on blogging about my little Koh Tao beach excursion to Sai Nuan – it was meant to be a lazy day, a break from all the scuba diving and working, and so therefore I left my blogger’s cap collecting dust in my hotel room and hit the beach.
My impetuous trip to Thailand in June was all about the diving. So naturally, the initial plan was to fly from Sydney to Phuket and head straight to Koh Tao for the entire 10 days.
When you book an international flight semi-last minute and primarily because you found a good deal, you’re probably not going to do extensive research to prepare for this trip.
In my case, I booked a cheap flight from Sydney to Phuket about 2 weeks in advance because it was the most inexpensive, non-NZ international flight I could find within my desired date range.
There has been one very noticeable gap in my outdoor adventure resume. You’d think that in all my island hopping and Australian escapades over the years I’d have made more of an effort to explore the underwater world.
I’ll admit, I did a lot of things wrong on my first trip to Indonesia. I didn’t go down to the rock pools in Uluwatu even though I was right there.
I waffled awhile on whether I’d continue my monthly recaps after my year on the Australia Work and Holiday visa ended. I really enjoy writing them and reflecting on my life and travels, so I think they’ll be here to stay.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Flying Over Kauai – My First Time In A Helicopter! Flying
- Cycling Angkor Wat – Temple Hopping By Bike Asia
- When a 30-Something Travels With Young Backpackers Australia
- A Rough Welcome to the Philippines Asia
- Kickin’ it in Colorful Cartagena, Colombia Colombia
- A Snowshoeing Adventure From NYC! New York
- Everything You Need To Know About Tayrona National Park Colombia
- My Year as a Sydney Uni Study Abroad Student Australia