The traditional Everest Base Camp trek begins in Lukla. Fortunately for you, I’m not traditional, and that’s definitely not my style of travel! The off-the-beaten-path Everest Base Camp trek that I completed begins SOUTH of Lukla, in Phaplu or Jiri.
First thing’s first: no one camps while trekking in Nepal. That’s because all of the trails are populated with affordable guesthouses – aka tea houses – so there’s really no need to.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Gorges du Verdon: Is This Really the South of France? Europe
- El Questro Gorge Hopping in the Kimberley Outback Australia
- Why Quitting Your Job To Travel Isn’t As Scary As It Seems Inspiration
- Everest Base Camp Trek: Phaplu to Lukla Asia
- October 2016 Recap: Philippines + Australia Monthly Recap
- The Best Ways To See The Lights At Vivid Sydney Australia
- Phillip Island Day Trip Guide For Independent Travelers Australia
- February 2016 Recap: Melbourne & Victoria, Australia Australia