This is a story about two very unlikely events – both happening on a boat, both happening to me.
(It’s also a long-winded account of the Maya Bay Sleep Aboard experience.)
There are over 1000 islands in Thailand. It’s no wonder I agonized over which ones to visit on my 2013 Asia trip!
One of my top priorities was to get myself to a not-so-touristy beach with bright white sand and bright blue water.
Picture this: a beachfront bungalow resort off the coast of Thailand, famed for its delicious mojitos and excellent cooking school, where lots of cats roam around the property and hang out on your porch.
After 2 months of tackling Nepal and India, I was more than ready to catapult myself to the Thai islands for some much-needed beach time. First stop: Koh Lanta!
I spent a week on Koh Lanta: the first half in the north, near Klong Dao and Long Beach; the second half in the south, at Kantiang Bay.
Of all the places I’d planned to visit on my 5-month journey through Asia, I was most excited about southern Thailand. I ended up spending nearly 3 weeks there in total, split between several islands and beaches – and I definitely could have spent MUCH more time island hopping there.
Of the 4 weekend days I’ve spent in Bangkok, I’ve gone to the Chatuchak Weekend Market on 3 of them:
- First time – went for a ‘look-see’ to scope things out, sample the snacks, and take note of things I might want to buy next time (the idea being to return after my upcoming jaunt through Southern Thailand, so I wouldn’t have to carry around extra crap for those couple of weeks)
- Second time – went with some boys and didn’t want to drag them along to do some girl shopping
- Third time – went on my own to finally do said shopping!
Turns out, well – very VERY well, as future blog posts will reveal ;)
For starters: I’ve long been harboring this dream of someday experiencing an infinity pool.
Before I even began planning my 2013 Asia trip, I knew about the infamous scams at the Thailand-Cambodia border. Not only that, but I’d heard it was one hell of a journey, requiring several different connections, all of which were subject to scams and other discomforts.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Livin’ La Dolce Vita: Sydney Harbour By Sexy Speedboat Australia
- A Super-Unique Wine Tour In The Hunter Valley Australia
- Sailing in Boston Harbor: The Perfect Beantown Summer Excursion! Boating
- Wai-O-Tapu, New Zealand // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Flashback Friday
- December 2016 Recap: Hawaii, NYC, Connecticut Monthly Recap
- How To Stay Fit While Traveling Inspiration
- Cape Cod, Massachusetts // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Flashback Friday
- Jaisalmer Fort in the Indian Desert // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Asia