Have you heard of Wanaka?
When I first toured New Zealand 10 years ago, this little mountain town wasn’t on the itinerary. I had no idea it even existed, let alone packed a serious punch in the Outdoor Adventure department.
I recently spent 5 days in Byron Bay, a beautifully chilled out beach town in northern New South Wales with a decidedly SoCal vibe. I can report that its popularity is justified: Byron Bay now ranks as one of my favorite places in all of Australia.
A lot of things went wrong on my recent trip to New Zealand, but the days I spent at Aoraki Mt. Cook National Park went off with nary a hitch.
I lay on a grassy knoll at Wategos Beach in a flowy skirt, head propped up on my backpack at an angle optimal for scoping out the surfers and setting sun in front of me, dozing off to the sweet croons of a guitarist nearby.
While Melbourne is a wonderfully livable city, it isn’t a place with many sights or tourist attractions worth boasting about. You come here to eat, drink, and soak up the culture.
Ten years ago I dubbed Adelaide a “craphole” because it seemed like a bit of a snoozefest. I suspect this was partially because I visited on Good Friday when most everything was closed, but mostly because back then I wasn’t the openminded and adventurous traveler I am today.
I may get banished to travel blogger purgatory for the following confession, but here it goes:
I’m not really into food. Like, at all.
I grew up eating chicken for dinner every other night, and until I moved to New York I looked at eating out as a thing you only did for special occasions.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- The Definitive Guide to Christmas in New York New York
- My Super-Fun Melbourne Street Art Class Australia
- Fabulous Hotels in Brooklyn, New York USA
- Lake Maggiore, Switzerland // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Europe
- Beautiful Blissful Byron Bay Australia
- Highlights of a Western Australia Roadtrip Australia
- Why The Mornington Peninsula Is The Best Side Trip From Melbourne Australia
- Best of Southern Vietnam – Photo Gallery Asia