I lay on a grassy knoll at Wategos Beach in a flowy skirt, head propped up on my backpack at an angle optimal for scoping out the surfers and setting sun in front of me, dozing off to the sweet croons of a guitarist nearby.
While Melbourne is a wonderfully livable city, it isn’t a place with many sights or tourist attractions worth boasting about. You come here to eat, drink, and soak up the culture.
Ten years ago I dubbed Adelaide a “craphole” because it seemed like a bit of a snoozefest. I suspect this was partially because I visited on Good Friday when most everything was closed, but mostly because back then I wasn’t the openminded and adventurous traveler I am today.
I may get banished to travel blogger purgatory for the following confession, but here it goes:
I’m not really into food. Like, at all.
I grew up eating chicken for dinner every other night, and until I moved to New York I looked at eating out as a thing you only did for special occasions.
There are a couple of must-do hikes in Wanaka, New Zealand. Rob Roy Glacier tends to be the one locals recommend: a glorious half-day hike rife with alpine scenery, waterfalls, glaciers, and swing bridges… and unfortunately, not a viable option for me because the trailhead isn’t within walking distance from town.
10 years ago, I toured New Zealand for a month, turned 21 on Fox Glacier, and had one of the most awe-inspiring trips of my life before kicking off my year studying abroad in Sydney.
I recently spent 3 weeks on New Zealand’s south island. I could have easily been tempted to spend that time trying to explore the entire country, or at least all of the south island, but instead I focused on just the central part of the island around Queenstown, Wanaka, and Mt.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- The Oregon Coast // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Flashback Friday
- Flying Over The Grand Canyon // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Flashback Friday
- Letting A Cheap Flight Decide Your Next Trip Planning
- 4 Big Things Preventing You From Travelling Alone Inspiration
- The Best Views of Melbourne Australia
- Highlights From a Melbourne to Perth Roadtrip Australia
- Hipmunk Hotels: California Hotels in Beverly Hills, Big Bear Lake, & More USA
- Infiorata: Italy’s Flower Carpet Festival Europe