I recently spent 2 weeks
drooling all over the scenery traveling in Iceland. In a span of 15 days, we roadtripped around the Ring Road (and beyond!), hung out in Reykjavik, and hiked through the highlands.
“Is that a cloud? Or is that the Northern Lights?”, Johna wondered aloud with controlled enthusiasm. I quickly swiveled my bar stool to face the window behind us and squinted to see outside from Kex Hostel.
I recently spent 8 days driving around Iceland. Or, more accurately, being driven around Iceland by my friends whose driving skills are far superior to mine. No, instead of driving, I bring a random smattering of other useful skills to roadtrips: researching awesome and preferably offbeat stops along the way, negotiating discounts, frantically phoning guesthouses late at night to inquire whether they have an available room at an affordable price, crafting playlists of the cheesy pop and/or classic rock persuasion, getting un-lost after a wrong turn or three, finding backcountry campsites.
By the time this post goes live, barring any volcanic eruption/disruption from Bardarbunga, I should be en route to JFK Airport to meet my roadtrip partners in crime. I almost hesitated to write about my plans for traveling to Iceland because it would be the saddest thing ever to have to say OH JUST KIDDING if I couldn’t go after all.
“THERE’S A VOLCANO ALERT FOR ICELAND!”, Becca texted me last week, just 11 days before we were due to fly to Reykjavik.
I immediately took to The Google, which confirmed that an orange alert had been issued due to “intense seismic activity at the Bardarbunga volcano [which]indicates the potential for a disruptive ash event similar to 2010”.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Hipmunk Hotels: California Hotels in Santa Barbara, Ventura, & More USA
- Hike Your Arse Off At Aoraki Mt. Cook National Park Hiking
- Governors Island: NYC’s Newly-Renovated Urban Playground Cycling
- A Very Melbourne 31st Birthday Australia
- How To Find Cheap Accommodation In Australia Australia
- The Best View Of The Sydney New Years Eve Fireworks Australia
- The Down Under Report: Month 2 of 12 Australia
- The 25 Most Beautiful Places I Saw In 2016 Annual Recap