I recently spent 2 weeks
drooling all over the scenery traveling in Iceland. In a span of 15 days, we roadtripped around the Ring Road (and beyond!), hung out in Reykjavik, and hiked through the highlands.
“Is that a cloud? Or is that the Northern Lights?”, Johna wondered aloud with controlled enthusiasm. I quickly swiveled my bar stool to face the window behind us and squinted to see outside from Kex Hostel.
I recently spent 8 days driving around Iceland. Or, more accurately, being driven around Iceland by my friends whose driving skills are far superior to mine. No, instead of driving, I bring a random smattering of other useful skills to roadtrips: researching awesome and preferably offbeat stops along the way, negotiating discounts, frantically phoning guesthouses late at night to inquire whether they have an available room at an affordable price, crafting playlists of the cheesy pop and/or classic rock persuasion, getting un-lost after a wrong turn or three, finding backcountry campsites.
By the time this post goes live, barring any volcanic eruption/disruption from Bardarbunga, I should be en route to JFK Airport to meet my roadtrip partners in crime. I almost hesitated to write about my plans for traveling to Iceland because it would be the saddest thing ever to have to say OH JUST KIDDING if I couldn’t go after all.
“THERE’S A VOLCANO ALERT FOR ICELAND!”, Becca texted me last week, just 11 days before we were due to fly to Reykjavik.
I immediately took to The Google, which confirmed that an orange alert had been issued due to “intense seismic activity at the Bardarbunga volcano [which]indicates the potential for a disruptive ash event similar to 2010”.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Best of Cambodia – Photo Gallery Asia
- Insta-Queensland: Queensland by Instagram Australia
- How To Stay in Australia Without Marrying An Australian Australia
- Hipmunk Hotels: California Getaways in Monterey, San Luis Obispo, and More USA
- How I Saved $10,000+ On Travel In 2016 Inspiration
- Postcard From The 33rd Floor Of A 5 Star Hotel in Bangkok Asia
- Ventoura: A Tinder-Like Phone App For Travel Planning
- 2016: The Year I Inadvertently Tried So Many New Things Annual Recap