I love solo travel, and I will happily sing its praises to anyone who will listen. But man, sometimes it’s nice to be able to split the cost of things with traveling companions – whether it’s ordering several dishes and sharing them all, affording a 5-star hotel room, or just sharing a cab to the airport.
Browsing: Outdoor Adventures
Ah, Railay. I will always look back on my time spent in this climber’s beach paradise as one of the best weeks of my life. I got to do one of my favorite activities in the most beautiful of places, essentially honeymoon-style ;)
This is a story about two very unlikely events – both happening on a boat, both happening to me.
(It’s also a long-winded account of the Maya Bay Sleep Aboard experience.)
Waiiiiiiiiiiit a second – seasickness-prone Lindsay is willingly sleeping on a boat?!
In February of 2013, I quit my job and set off for my biggest trip to-date: backpacking through Asia.
The whole impetus for the trip was hiking the Everest Base Camp Trek, something I’d been saying I’d do the next time I was in-between jobs and could afford to spend at least 3 weeks in Nepal.
The traditional Everest Base Camp trek begins in Lukla. Fortunately for you, I’m not traditional, and that’s definitely not my style of travel! The off-the-beaten-path Everest Base Camp trek that I completed begins SOUTH of Lukla, in Phaplu or Jiri.
First thing’s first: no one camps while trekking in Nepal. That’s because all of the trails are populated with affordable guesthouses – aka tea houses – so there’s really no need to.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- A Perfect Day in San Francisco California
- September 2016 Recap: Australia + Philippines Monthly Recap
- Highlights From A Great Barrier Reef Scenic Flight Australia
- 50 Great Outdoor Adventures in NYC New York
- El Nido: Gateway to Philippine Paradise // WANDERLUST WEDNESDAY Wanderlust Wednesday
- Who Knew Tulum Had Street Art? Mexico
- How to Spend 5 Days in New York New York
- Exploring the Elements via Travel Photography // Earth, Water, Fire, Air Inspiration