There are a couple of must-do hikes in Wanaka, New Zealand. Rob Roy Glacier tends to be the one locals recommend: a glorious half-day hike rife with alpine scenery, waterfalls, glaciers, and swing bridges… and unfortunately, not a viable option for me because the trailhead isn’t within walking distance from town.
The Royal National Park Coastal Track is one of my favorite hikes of all time. Close to Sydney and accessible by public transport, it’s an easy weekend getaway for the frugal traveler.
Remember that time I roadtripped from Melbourne to Perth, only to fly straight back to the east coast to explore Hinchinbrook Island? That happened over 4 months ago, but the experience is still fresh in my mind.
A day that starts off with me losing my phone (yes, again) and ends with me being stranded for several hours waiting for my ride looks from most angles to be a crap sandwich.
It’s been two months now since I began working at El Questro Wilderness Park in the Kimberley. Other than the fact that it was in the Australian Outback and likely rife with myriad outdoor adventures, I knew almost nothing about this place before accepting the job offer.
In April 2010, aka Month #9 of Funemployment after quitting my first-ever corporate job, I took a spontaneous trip out west, flew into Vegas, rented a car, and roadtripped for a week with my old Brooklyn roommate Lauren.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Sydney Harbour Walk: Mosman to Cremorne Australia
- October 2016 Recap: Philippines + Australia Monthly Recap
- Beach Hopping at Tayrona National Park Colombia
- Escaping Sydney for the Kangaroo Valley Countryside Australia
- I Dare You To Quit Inspiration
- Working Out Without Shoes in Saigon Asia
- Taking The Everest Base Camp Trek By Storm Asia
- Send me to Kerala, India! // WANDERLUST WEDNESDAY Wanderlust Wednesday