The Royal National Park Coastal Track is one of my favorite hikes of all time. Close to Sydney and accessible by public transport, it’s an easy weekend getaway for the frugal traveler.
Remember that time I roadtripped from Melbourne to Perth, only to fly straight back to the east coast to explore Hinchinbrook Island? That happened over 4 months ago, but the experience is still fresh in my mind.
A day that starts off with me losing my phone (yes, again) and ends with me being stranded for several hours waiting for my ride looks from most angles to be a crap sandwich.
It’s been two months now since I began working at El Questro Wilderness Park in the Kimberley. Other than the fact that it was in the Australian Outback and likely rife with myriad outdoor adventures, I knew almost nothing about this place before accepting the job offer.
In April 2010, aka Month #9 of Funemployment after quitting my first-ever corporate job, I took a spontaneous trip out west, flew into Vegas, rented a car, and roadtripped for a week with my old Brooklyn roommate Lauren.
Even though I didn’t 100% love the Overland Track, I’m glad I hiked it and I enjoyed it whenever the weather cooperated.
If you’re thinking of hiking the Overland Track in Tasmania, you should do your research beforehand (unlike me – lesson learned!).
As I admitted in a previous post, I did very little research before tackling the Overland Track in Tasmania. Beyond booking the trek and transportation and equipping myself with standard trekking gear, I really didn’t know what I was getting into.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Art is EVERYWHERE in India – Doors Included! Asia
- Lake Geneva, Switzerland // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Europe
- A Week On Koh Lanta, Thailand Asia
- Wat’s That? Temple Hopping in Bangkok Asia
- A Sydney Cycling Adventure Around The Northern Beaches Australia
- Ventoura: A Tinder-Like Phone App For Travel Planning
- Hipmunk Hotels: California Hotels in Beverly Hills, Big Bear Lake, & More USA
- Bryce Canyon National Park // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Flashback Friday