I had every intention of taking advantage of all the adventure activities Rishikesh, India has on offer. Rafting, camping, rappelling, hiking, bungee jumping – not to mention, it’s the yoga capital of the WORLD.
You can’t NOT pay a visit to the Taj Mahal if you’re in the north of India.
(Well, I guess that’s not entirely true, since I met multiple people who had skipped it.
Udaipur was my favorite city I visited in India. I had a feeling beforehand that I’d enjoy it, and sure enough – it was the only place I wish I’d had more time in.
Whenever I visit a new city, I like to find a spot where I can take in the view from above. Savitri Temple, perched atop a steep hill, is the prime location to see Pushkar in all its white-washed glory.
India is a challenge in every respect. Getting around the country is just one of many obstacles you must conquer when traveling here. For me, it was a major stress point – particularly when I had 50+ lbs of luggage strapped to my body, and/or was traveling at a very late or very early hour.
We weren’t even supposed to visit Junbesi; our Everest Base Camp trekking schedule had us taking a quicker route up to Lukla so that we’d completely bypass the village. But I remembered reading something online where lots of people kept recommending a rest day here and thought – surely it must be worth a stop, then?
Everyone warned me about Indian men.
To which I responded with my trademark eyeroll, “I got this.” I’ve long perfected my Beast Mode and it’s worked flawlessly, thankyouverymuch. I envisioned implementing it in India like this:
- Indian man approaches me for any reason whatsoever?
Welp, I can cross “ride a camel” off my bucket list now! I went on an Indian Camel Safari in Jaisalmer and it was way more enjoyable and less painful than I expected :)
I trekked with a group of 10 or so foreigners into the desert about an hour outside of Jaisalmer.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- 7 Solid Springtime Adventures in NYC New York
- Surprise! Lake Argyle is Actually Pretty Rad Australia
- Motorbiking Around Dalat With A Vietnam Easyrider Asia
- A Bali Cycling Tour In A Massive Rain Storm Asia
- I’m Moving To Australia in a Week – And I’m Fine Life
- Insta-Thailand: Thailand by Instagram Asia
- A Big Sur Road Trip // WANDERLUST WEDNESDAY California
- Governors Island: NYC’s Newly-Renovated Urban Playground Cycling