After traveling in Italy during July and August last year (and in June, many years ago), I have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn’t when it comes to summer in Italy.
Did you know that there’s actually an island in Sydney Harbour where you can stay overnight?
Cockatoo Island is absolutely steeped in convict history and today, 110 years after the closure of the old prison there, it’s a UNESCO World Heritage site and makes for a most excellent Sydney getaway or day trip.
A few weeks ago, a friend and I drove from Sydney to the Blue Mountains for a little day trip adventure. As is the norm for me these days, I felt a little woozy and motion sick from the drive out of the city (all that stopping and starting with traffic always does me in).
I know I said I would never write a ‘5 Days in Sydney’ post, but guess what? My sister is coming to visit me here next week and suddenly I find myself carefully crafting an itinerary that will allow her to experience the best of Sydney in 5 days.
On December 12th, 2014, I arrived in Sydney with my life a freshly blank slate (read: big giant question mark). I’d just quit a job I enjoyed, moved out of an apartment that had been my home for 5 years, sold/stored 95% of my belongings, and booked a one-way ticket to Australia without a plan.
Well my friends, I’m afraid this is a tale of travel dreams being tarnished by craptastic weather.
You can plan the bejesus out of a trip, go well out of your way to reach a destination, and even allot extra days to thoroughly enjoy it – but you can’t do a damned thing about the weather other than try to make the most of it.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Australia, I’m Yours Australia
- Budget Travel in Colombia: What I Spent Colombia
- Fine, I Admit It – I Have A Travel Routine Inspiration
- I Did Everything Wrong At Zion National Park Hiking
- In With The Old, In With The New: Balancing Comfort With Adventure Inspiration
- Things of Italy: Photo Highlights From Way Back When Italy
- El Nido: When Travel Dreams Don’t Quite Come True Philippines
- Send me to Kerala, India! // WANDERLUST WEDNESDAY Wanderlust Wednesday