One of the first things I did on my month-long trip through New Zealand was the Tongariro Crossing. Renowned as the best day hike in the country, it takes you on a 12-mile journey through volcanoes, lakes, and a very Mars-like terrain; past active volcano Mt Tongariro, Mt Ngauruhoe, and – most gorgeous of all – the Emerald Lakes.
Browsing: New Zealand
Ah, New Zealand: land of lakes, mountains, fiords, adventure sports, Lord of the Rings, sheep, and colorful thermal pools.
On the latter front, the North Island is home to Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland, where volcanic activity manifests in brightly colored pools and geysers.
New Zealand is just ridiculous. It’s one of those places that’s endlessly blessed with natural beauty. She couldn’t take a bad photo if she tried.
I spent 4 weeks in New Zealand in January/February 2006, just before starting my year abroad at Sydney University.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Bolivian Salt Flats // WANDERLUST WEDNESDAY Wanderlust Wednesday
- Confession: I Don’t Want To Be A Nomad Anymore Life
- Postcard From The 33rd Floor Of A 5 Star Hotel in Bangkok Asia
- Bike The Wineries in Queenstown Cycling
- Highlights From A Melbourne River Cruise Australia
- 4 Big Things Preventing You From Travelling Alone Inspiration
- Sydney Harbour // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Australia
- Falling Out Of Love With New York Life