Browsing: New Zealand
Have you heard of Wanaka?
When I first toured New Zealand 10 years ago, this little mountain town wasn’t on the itinerary. I had no idea it even existed, let alone packed a serious punch in the Outdoor Adventure department.
A lot of things went wrong on my recent trip to New Zealand, but the days I spent at Aoraki Mt. Cook National Park went off with nary a hitch.
There are a couple of must-do hikes in Wanaka, New Zealand. Rob Roy Glacier tends to be the one locals recommend: a glorious half-day hike rife with alpine scenery, waterfalls, glaciers, and swing bridges… and unfortunately, not a viable option for me because the trailhead isn’t within walking distance from town.
10 years ago, I toured New Zealand for a month, turned 21 on Fox Glacier, and had one of the most awe-inspiring trips of my life before kicking off my year studying abroad in Sydney.
I recently spent 3 weeks on New Zealand’s south island. I could have easily been tempted to spend that time trying to explore the entire country, or at least all of the south island, but instead I focused on just the central part of the island around Queenstown, Wanaka, and Mt.
Remember that time I took a magical scenic flight from Queenstown to Milford Sound? Well, the flight was just half of the fun: sandwiched in-between was a boat cruise around Milford Sound.
I spent the final week of my recent trip to New Zealand in Queenstown, so-called adventure capital of the world. It’s the kind of place that’s stupid-stunning from every angle, which tourism has fully exploited by offering just about every adrenaline-inducing outdoor adventure you can think of.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- The Connecticut Shoreline // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Flashback Friday
- Sydney Harbour Walk: Watsons Bay & South Head Australia
- 10 Life Lessons I Learned Before Turning 30 Inspiration
- Good Reads on the Road – Volume 1 Inspiration
- St. Peter’s Basilica // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Europe
- Sydney Coastal Walk: Kurnell to Cronulla + Botany Bay NP Australia
- Stockholm’s Gamla Stan // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Europe
- The Hippest Places To Stay in Sedona USA