Browsing: New Zealand
Have you heard of Wanaka?
When I first toured New Zealand 10 years ago, this little mountain town wasn’t on the itinerary. I had no idea it even existed, let alone packed a serious punch in the Outdoor Adventure department.
A lot of things went wrong on my recent trip to New Zealand, but the days I spent at Aoraki Mt. Cook National Park went off with nary a hitch.
April was one of those months I’d be perfectly happy to live over and over again. With 3 weeks of settled life in Sydney bookended by 2 trips filled with wine and sunshine, I’m hard pressed to come up with anything worthy of being dubbed a lowlight for the month.
There are a couple of must-do hikes in Wanaka, New Zealand. Rob Roy Glacier tends to be the one locals recommend: a glorious half-day hike rife with alpine scenery, waterfalls, glaciers, and swing bridges… and unfortunately, not a viable option for me because the trailhead isn’t within walking distance from town.
10 years ago, I toured New Zealand for a month, turned 21 on Fox Glacier, and had one of the most awe-inspiring trips of my life before kicking off my year studying abroad in Sydney.
I recently spent 3 weeks on New Zealand’s south island. I could have easily been tempted to spend that time trying to explore the entire country, or at least all of the south island, but instead I focused on just the central part of the island around Queenstown, Wanaka, and Mt.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Traveling in India: 3.5 Weeks in Review Asia
- 50 Great Outdoor Adventures in NYC New York
- 2016 in Review: A Year As A Digital Nomad Annual Recap
- Bhaktapur’s Durbar Square // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Asia
- The Best Village Experience is in Luang Namtha, Laos Asia
- Best of Cambodia – Photo Gallery Asia
- Sausalito, California // FLASHBACK FRIDAY California
- Flamenco in Spain // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Europe