I recently wrote a post about how to plan a Kauai road trip – you know, the practical stuff like where to get camping equipment, how to book campsites, and what kind of car to rent.
I recently embarked on my second road trip around the Hawaiian islands. Someday I will write about the epic adventures I had driving around the Big Island back in my pre-blog days (until then, this guide to trekking to Waimanu Valley will have to do).
The Kalalau Trail is exhilarating, exhausting, terrifying, drop-dead stunning, and positively one of the best hikes you could ever hope to embark on.
I tend to operate on a *throw myself into it and see what happens* basis, often without pausing to consider whether I can actually succeed (after all, whatever happens, I can handle it).
I don’t technically have a bucket list, but if I did, boy would hiking the Kalalau Trail in Hawaii have been high up on it. In fact, I planned my recent 12-day stopover in Hawaii around this trek and spent most of that time exploring the garden isle of Kauai.
I don’t know about you, but the trips I take tend to be planned around one particular thing I’ve been aching to see or do. In the case of my 2012 road trip around the Big Island of Hawaii, the one thing I just HAD to do was trek to Waimanu Valley on the Muliwai Trail.
I’ve been thinking back lately to my 2 weeks in Hawaii in 2012 and how incredibly AWESOME that trip was. Hawaii has everything I need to be happy: glorious warm weather, gorgeous scenery, and outdoor adventures out the wazoo.
Sign #642 that you’re not a winter person: Every time a snowstorm hits, you instantly think of warmer times. Of sunset bike rides, picnics in the park, island getaways, sunburnt naps on the beach, tanktops and flip flops.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Light Projections Galore At White Night Melbourne Australia
- A Day Trip to Sydney’s Northern Beaches Australia
- A Year In Australia: The 35 Most Beautiful Places I Saw Annual Recap
- How To Keep Updated On My Travel Adventures! Administrative
- Street Art in Pilsen: Murals in Chicago’s Mexican Neighborhood Midwest US
- Awesome NYC Hotels in Midtown Manhattan USA
- Stellar Hotels in Missouri USA
- How I Saved $10,000+ On Travel In 2016 Inspiration