After traveling in Italy during July and August last year (and in June, many years ago), I have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn’t when it comes to summer in Italy.
The very last day of my summer Euro-trip had me in Verona, a small city in northern Italy that I’ve never had much desire to visit. You know, the one that’s famous for Juliette’s balcony, under which Romeo would stand and bellow out sweet nothings to her?
I don’t know about you, but I never heard much about the Dolomites until I really started getting into traveling and hiking. So if you’re like me, then here’s a quick catch-me-up:
The Dolomites are often referred to as the Italian Alps or the “pale mountains”.
It’s widely known that July and August are the busiest, craziest, most touristy months in Europe, and that for an optimal experience there, you best avoid this time of year. But what if that’s the only time you have to travel?
Venice wasn’t part of the plan when I crafted my itinerary for Italy, but when my Danish friends spontaneously decided to head there the day after we finished our stint in the Dolomites, I couldn’t resist tagging along.
Many travelers bypass Milan and surrounds and make a beeline toward the more touristy parts of Italy. But to do so is to miss out on one of the most brilliant regions in all of Europe.
The Great Italy Trip of 2007 marked my first major solo travel experience. Sure, I’d traveled alone a bit the previous year while studying abroad in Australia, but certainly not for five weeks straight.
My 5 week backpacking trip around Italy in 2007 was my first major solo travel endeavor. I researched and planned like mad and more or less threw myself into a foreign land without a second thought.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- Marvelous Manly: Outdoor Adventures & Beaches Galore Australia
- 10 Worthwhile Stops To Make On Your Iceland Road Trip Europe
- Best of Northern Laos – Photo Gallery Asia
- What’s In My Bag: Asia Backpacking Trip Planning
- That Time I Splurged On A Fancy Hotel (And It SO Wasn’t Worth It!) Asia
- The Frugal Frolicker Creed Inspiration
- A Big Sur Road Trip // WANDERLUST WEDNESDAY California
- The Walled, Swedish Town of Visby // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Europe