One thing you quickly learn when traveling around third world countries is that they play by an entirely different set of rules than what you’re used to. Routine motions like going from A to B or making simple transactions can be frustrating enough to make you want to punch a durian.
About 12 years ago, I was just finishing up my first semester of college with a killer lineup of classes: math, mystery writing, psych 101, and – how’s this for fitting?
I realize that my choice of a blog name has somewhat pigeonholed me into a certain style of travel. Budget travel, backpacking, travel hacking, whatever you call it: I’ve always sacrificed luxury and comfort in the name of saving money and thus being able to travel more.
I didn’t have much on my to-do list during my week in Ubud. I wanted to use this time to get some work done, lounge by the hotel pool, and indulge in healthful meals that only cost a fraction of what I’d pay back in the US or Australia.
I was having doubts about Bali from inside my air-conditioned car as it comfortably shuttled me from the airport through Denpasar and up to Ubud (the 1.5 hour trip cost me US$22, mind you).
Shanghai might not come to mind immediately when you think of adventure, but you’ll find several unique activities here to entertain locals and travelers alike. On your next trip to Shanghai, China, try these interesting urban adventures.
I’ve detailed my many misadventures in India with great candor, but I JUST REALIZED (like, literally 5 minutes before starting this post) that I never wrote about the desert town of Jaisalmer.
More Stories on Frugal Frolicker
- How To Prepare For The Ultimate Kauai Road Trip Hawaii
- The Worst Photo I’ll Ever Post, From Salzburg, Austria // FLASHBACK FRIDAY Austria
- Jungle Beach: When Tour Groups Attack Asia
- Railay, Thailand: A Climber’s Paradise Asia
- 5 Reasons To Travel Southeast Asia During Off Season Asia
- Can You Afford To Move To NYC? New York
- How Was Your Weekend? (The Digital Nomad Edition) Life
- The Best Ways To See The Lights At Vivid Sydney Australia